September 23, 2009

Numicon sampler

I've had many questions about Numicon, so I thought I'd make a little video from our first day back at school. Everything in the video is review for Hannah, but she really had not touched any of it for nearly 5 months.

When we bought Numicon, we had to order it from England, but Hooray for Downsedusa! They are now a re-seller of Numicon, so it's available for sale here in the states. It's still pricey. The Firm Foundations kit that we use is $173 plus shipping (but it's currently out of stock). We also have the Conversion to Kit 1, which is what we'll primarily be using this year.

For those of you coming into the thread late, I suggest you look at my previous Numicon posts (found on the "Label" menu to the right---> ).

This is a pretty long video, and only you die hard readers and potential math teachers will want to watch it in entirety. Sorry for the poor video quality--I grabbed Hannah's digital camera since that's what was nearby. I will probably do some more of this kind of thing, since it's really difficult to understand how Numicon works by just reading about it.

Hannah gets a little silly for the camera. And, towards the end of the video you can hear a little bit of her newest speech issue--a slight stutter on the letter N. "N-n-n-n-numicon emergency!!!"


6 comments:

Monica said...

Thanks for sharing~ I'm not to sure about our math curriculum....

Hannah always makes me smile! I love her sense of humor!

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce. Fascinating!! I have never seen the Numicon in action before. Hannah really has a great understanding of how it works. Thank you for taking the time to video. Now that we are one full year out of high school, I am starting to see some of Sarah's skills slip, so I am on the lookout for new ways to keep them current such as the math. I love the humor mixed in with staying on task. That's the only way Sarah and I get through each day:)

Wendy P said...

Thank you for the video! I loved getting to see Hannah in action. She has such an awesome sense of humor. What age did you start using Numicon? I hadn't heard of it, but wonder if maybe Jackson would enjoy it, too.

mauimom said...

I watched the entire video, and enjoyed all of it. I love the humor the Hannah has while she is doing her work, makes learning fun! She made me giggle, I know what she was referring to with the "bird emergency" as I have watched my fair share of "Wonder Pets". I am proud to say that I have the "There's an animal in trouble...." song memorized. Numicon is very interesting, I have not seen it before. Thank you for the information!

Brandie said...

Numicon is officially on my homeschooling wish list. I think my 10 yo could use it. She is still struggling with math. I looked at the website and was a little confused by all the options. I'll have to look again when I have more time.

Crittle said...

I actually loved watching that video. I was wondering how Hannah was going to handle that last 5 and it was very interesting to see just what she did.

Numicon looks very interesting!