May 19, 2010

Fluff 'n stuff

Busy life here.

I think I must set the record straight.  Some of you have gotten the impression that I am organized and structured.   Nothing could be farther from the truth.  I am a clutterer.  A piler. A procrastinator. A good hearted one, to be sure, but still, I am not tidy nor timely.  I do not have it "all together".  I let things go.  I have good intentions, but I don't get everything done on my list (if I can even find my list).

I know it's easy to see this tidy blog, and read about Hannah's busy schedule of outsourced activities, and think that I've got it all figured out.  But, really, I don't.   I invite people over to motivate me to pull out the vacuum and unearth the kitchen table.  (I actually do invite people over because I like to have them here.)(But I do need to vacuum and shift piles of mail/newspaper/coupons/"important" things to less obvious locations.)

I have window treatments for my bedroom that have been awaiting installation for nearly two years.   Hannah's drapes that have been waiting even longer.

I am a starter, but not a finisher.  I begin projects, but rarely complete them unless I have a serious deadline. I'll get 80% finished and then run out of steam.  

I come from a long line of clutterers and procrastinators.  I don't like to make my bed.  I like to imagine that there might be a few minutes in the day when I could crawl back in to read a chapter or two.  And if I made the bed, then it would not beckon me so.  And besides, I'd just have to unmake it at night.

Usually this problem solves itself since I tend to awaken before James.   He is a bed maker.  He is tidy.  He keeps everything in its place.  Of course, he did go to the Naval Academy, where many of his Felix Unger tendencies emerged.

But in 23 years of marriage we have managed to survive our disparate organizational styles.  Over the years I have somewhat reigned in my chaos, and he has relaxed his standards.

Lest you disbelieve, here is some photo evidence:

James and I have back-to-back computer workstations.

Here is my workspace.



Mine is, shall we say, "lived in".  
Please note: pink sock waiting to be mended, 2-3 cameras, a copy of Gifts 2, various post-it notes, paperwork and sunscreen.  



James, on the other hand, seems to live in a model home.


Here is James' night stand.


And here's mine. Overflow of reading material and belated greeting cards.  Yes, that is a sample paint blotch on the wall.  It's been there for 2 years.  I will get the room painted at some point.  Hopefully before we have to sell the house.


I could show you many more pictures...the walk-in closet we share.  My half is called the "stumble-in closet".

Or the bathroom, with its dual sinks.  To be fair, I have all of Hannah's hair clips and ponytail holders (we call them hair-doodees) as well as my "products".

Or you could stop in and see the kitchen when James is away on a business trip...that's not so pretty either. He's in charge of the dishes.   I *can* do dishes, and will in a pinch.  But it's not a top priority.

So there you have it.  I don't have it all together.  And I rather like it that way.

11 comments:

Jenee said...

That post was like a breath of fresh air. Thanks for the honesty. I will play outside with my munchkins or blog any day of the week over cleaning. The house can wait and it does!!!

Sometimes I feel alone in my cluttered ways, I'm convinced that many are just pretending :)

Again thanks for the honestly. Hopefully my hubby will relax his "marine" like ways over the next years like James has. One can hope, right!

My name is Sarah said...

LOL!!! Are you sure you're not in the John and Joyce household? The only picture you forgot is the perfectly lined colored coded shirts side of his closet and my side with clothes hanging upside down:)

Monica Crumley said...

Ahhhh, sounds like you peeked into my house, my desk, my nightstand, too. You did a great job describing me. I can almost do a cut and paste :-)

Melissa said...

I'm a started too. But finishing is not my strong point, as you could see in my house too!

Crittle said...

OMG! Y'all = Us! Right down to the USNA.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...I feel like I finally have a club to which I can belong.

Went to bed sick last night and left the kitchen a MESS.

Haven't seen the kitchen table in months. The kids just shove stuff over if they need to use the table for, something so bizarre as EATING.

The desks?????? they are under here somewhere.

The laundry???? Yes. I have laundry. Clean or dirty???? Yes.

The kitchen cabinets you ask? Why yes, I like them half green and half beige. If not, I would have completed painting them over a year ago.

Can I be club photographer?

Jan

Sharon said...

That's so funny mostly because it's all very familiar. People think I'm organised too but really I'm not. Especially love the night stand and computer space photos. I often have stuff all over the kitchen bench too but trying to keep that a little bit more useable at the moment - in case I need to cook or actually eat at the breakfast bar! haha

JennyH said...

HA! My computer area looks the same. My house looks like a tornado has hit it--several times.

the pictures are so funny showing your husbands then yours.

kim said...

pal, i love you more now than ever. :)

Brandie said...

I love this! We have so much in common. My husband hates my piles. But, if I file important things, I'll forget about them. A messy desk means you use it, a lot.

Stephanie said...

Just read this. Loved it. I am always so thrilled to find out that other people are as messy and disorganized as I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm just pretending to be a grown-up, and that I have to get tidy and organized in order to really join the club. I will refer back to this post whenever I stat to get too concerned about the height of my piles of stuff.